Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Some thoughts on my stay in Germany

Imagine sitting within a kitchen overlooking countryside and forests. The woods surrounding you, precious views in front. All you hear at most is the coffee machine pouring out aromatic magic, otherwise just soul-needed quietness. Walking outside the chilly fresh air, one can see the new spring blossoms, buds on twig-ends promising leaves and rich greenness to follow. The sun's last luke-warm rays are slowly disappearing behind far-off beautiful fields where cows have enjoyed a day of grazing.

And as I see these hopeful green plants preparing for a celebration of colour and display, I am reminded of the times past, where I visited Europe in autumn or winter. Each season has it's own unique display. It's own magnificent, characteristic celebration. I have enjoyed these times tremendously, but what a delight to see the air warming and the cold, hard ground turning into an incubation area for sleeping and frozen life, to awake to birds chirping joyfully!

My time here in Germany thus far has been everything but ordinary. To see your parents happy and settled in already is reassuring! We have visited small towns all along the Eifel : Mausbach, Monschau, Vicht, Forst, Aachen, Ratt, Roetgen...They all have there own "personality" and proud uniqueness! I have especially enjoyed Mausbach, in a valley. It has the cutest shops and restaurants!

What I have found great pleasure in, as always, is how the German families all decorate their windowsills, yards and houses depending on the season and occasion. This of course means springy and easterly rabbits and eggs. Colour now is diverse, and for those of you who know me, will know exactly why this is exciting for me! At Christmas time, the colours are fit for the occasion, but now it is bright, miscellaneous and cheerful! I have difficulty deciding what is my favourite time of year to visit Europe. I guess, all year round.... but I would love to see summer too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow...an impressive bit of writing... rather talented if I must say! I enjoyed that...only wish I could capture memories in such words...I write allot more abruptly and I never re-read what I have written! Ok sometimes I do, but most of the times I just don’t care…